Each year carbon monoxide (CO) posioning claims lives and sends many people to the hospital emergency rooms. It is also known as the Invisible Killer because it is impossible to see or smell the toxic fumes. At lower levels of exposure, CO can cause flue like symptoms that include headaches, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. At higher levels it can kill you before you know what happened.
However there are things you can do to help to help protect yourself and your family from the deadly effects of carbon monoxide fumes. First it is important to understand where carbon monoxide comes from. Generally speaking, it can come from gas fired appliances, wood burning fireplaces and motor vehicles. Things you can do:
1. Install carbon monoxide detectors in desiginated areas of the home, as per local codes.
2. Have your fuel burning appliances checked by a professional each year.
3. Never use you gas range or gas oven to heat your home. Never use a non-ventilated gas burning appliance in the home for long periods of time
4. Never keep the car running in the garage.
5. When purchasing a new home have a qualified technician check the heating system and the wall/or ceilings between the garage and the living spaces of the house.
6. Make sure that your carbon monoxide alarms are operational.