The U.S. Consumer Product SafetyCommossion (CPSC) warns that older brass flexible gas connectors are dangerous and should be removed. These gas connectors are made of brass, are uncoated, and can crack or break leading to a fire or explosion. They were most often used behinds gas kitchen ranges, ovens and dryers.
These gas connectors have not been manufactures for about 30 years, but a few may still exist. The brass fittings on the gas connectors were soldered onto the corrugated brass tube. The CPSC believes the solder can fail that will result in a gas leak,
CPSC also recommends that all fuel burning appliances be inspected annually to avoid fires and to help guard against carbon monoxide poisoning. Consumers with questions about gas connectors can call the CPSC hotline at (800) 638-2772.